Sunday, August 31, 2008

Painting

Before we were married, I gave Brian a gift card to Home Depot that I specified was to be used for paint. The master bedroom of this house had been painted a hideous shade of lavender by his former mother-in-law. I have my own reasons not to care for the woman, but that was one of the reasons high on his list.

Fast forward 19 months and our bedroom was still lavender. Within the past couple of weeks he developed this burning desire to paint the bedroom and finally insisted that it happen this weekend. I think part of it was our tax refund (the lone benefit of paying spousal support is that your taxable income is significantly reduced and a large refund is likely). Brian had a court hearing earlier this month and it didn't go very well. I think that's the other reason for the sudden urgency in painting. I think it gave him a sense of erasing the past figuratively since it can't be done literally.

Brian had patients this morning until about noon (and, of course, e-mailing the scammer guy). Then we spent the rest of the day emptying the room so it could be painted. I think it turned out quite well. I'll post pictures once everything is in place. I think it'll be even better than before because as everything gets put back, other unfinished things will get done, too. I have valances and curtain rods that have been waiting since... the same Christmas as the Home Depot gift card to be put up. They match the photo display curtain rod (Thanks Carla & Monica) that I made for this room, too.

Best of all, when all is said and done, I will have a permanent crafting area. : ) When he got tired of my stuff scattered all over the house, he put up two folding tables forming an L in the corner. Now those are going to be replaced by cabinets and a counter top. : ) I'm SO excited!!! I've been sewing a lot lately. I made another dress and a nightgown for Elise, then I made myself a blouse that was hands-down THE most difficult thing I've EVER made. I think that one deserves its own post. However, I've already posted more today than I have in the past year so... it'll have to wait.

Good night. : )

3 comments:

Carca said...

Feel free to come paint at my house:) Yeah for a craft area!

TexasTwinsTwice said...

That sounds like a good enough reason to despise a mother-in-law. Who in the heck picks a paint color for a room in a house they don't even live in?! I'm excited for your craft area!

Aubrey said...

I can't wait to see before/after pictures. Or just after pictures. I thrive on remodeling and it's kind of hard to do it in our current place Ü