Sunday, August 31, 2008

Brocade

I decided I wanted to make a shirt for myself. I found a pattern I thought would look really nice in a silky fabric and brocade was on sale. How was I to know that it would turn out to be the single, most difficult fabric I've ever tried to work with? I'd had an extremely difficult time with the crepe I tried making a dress out of once, but that was nothing compared to this. The brocade virtually disintegrated in my hands as I tried to work with it.
I can't even adequately describe how difficult this project was. Very, very difficult.
Now I feel like an expert who can make pretty much anything. : )

Elise announced that she wants me to make her a shirt just like this one...
I don't know if I'm up for that just yet. I made her a
white princess dress last year for Halloween (that has doubled as a church dress since then) and I'm about to start making her a Snow White dress for this Halloween. After that, we'll see...



(I know I look kind of pregnant, but I assure you I am not.)

5 comments:

Carca said...

You do not look pregnant....the shirt turned out beautiful...and so did you:)

Brenna said...

Wow! I am impressed! Those are good skills! I think it looks awesome! You are your own worst critic!

TexasTwinsTwice said...

Brocade??? Crepe??? What language are you talking here?! haha--i'm sure it's just some smart sewing words that I don't understand....along with the very skill of sewing! =) I'm VERY impressed with your shirt--soo nice! I'm also very impressed that you taught yourself how to sew. I've been thinking I could teach myself too, but I'm still a rookie. I SO should've taken an extra Home Ec. class in high school like Carla. I thought she was nuts at the time--but now she can sew! =)

Aubrey said...

That shirt looks beautiful. YOU look beautiful. But you do not look pregnant Ü

Also, I totally thought I had your blog in my Reader! (I have Treyton's). So now I have all these posts to read and it feels like Christmas Morning!!!!

Mom Gavin said...

Great job! Now post a picture of the Snow White costume: it is too cute!