Sunday, January 25, 2009

Hot Tamales

Many moons ago... my friend Kristy gave me some corn husks for tamale-making purposes. I was in Ohio at the time and it just wasn't going to happen there, but I was hopeful that someday I would attempt and conquer that task.

In January, I finally decided it was now or never. I found a fabulous recipe on the Internet and set about to acquire all the ingredients and cooking gadgets I'd need. I warned Brian beforehand that this was my project and he should not touch anything... (I can be a little territorial when I want to prove to myself that I can do something from start to finish.)

I cooked the meat per the instructions and waited until the next day to do the rest (recommended in the instructions). The next day, I soaked the husks, made the masa, and began assembling tamales. I filled one pot full of tamales but... the meat bowl looked just as full as it had when I started! That's when I realized I had bitten off more than I could chew...
I went pleading to my dear, wonderful, sweet husband to ignore what I said earlier and please, please, please save me from myself. And he did. :D


So, together, we spent the rest of the evening making several dozen tamales. They turned out great!

P.S.
Yes, Monica, they freeze well. One of the kitchen gadgets I acquired was a vacuum sealer; the recipe says they will keep indefinitely that way. :D

6 comments:

TexasTwinsTwice said...

WOW! That's awesome! I love tamales, but woudn't even consider trying to make them (gotta master the basics 1st ;-). You can freeze them right?...so you can have tamales for the next year!

Aubrey said...

Yum! Since you have so many, I better take some off your hands Ü.
I have to say the SAME thing to Nathan---I'm going to cook this---but when he does help, it's always better.

Sugar Spice Puppy Tales said...

Yummm, I love tamales!

Brenna said...

ummmm I love tamales!!! So talented! & what a fun thing to do together! How many did you make when all was said & done? Must have taken a while if you had to ask for help. I don't think I could ever get up enough gumption to take on a task like that! well done! yum...I'll be over at 6pm sharp! lol jk

Mom Gavin said...

YES, they were delicious!
I remember when we had a bunch of little cucumbers & came home from somewhere & you had decided to figure out how to make pickles. You found a recipe and DID IT! I've never braved pickle-making, & you were in high school! Never daunted; that's you.

Carca said...

OOOOhh sounds so good!!!!!!!!