Thursday, May 28, 2009

Bad Mother

Our kids' school doesn't bus most of the kids who live within a mile of the school (the exception being the ones who live across a major street). I've measured it on my odometer and, although it is less than one mile from our subdivision, the school is 1.2 miles from our home. Yet... I still have to take the kids to and from school.

I really don't mind the driving. My issue is the remembering-to-pick-them-up part. I generally don't have a problem in the morning (unless I make the mistake of checking my e-mail that early) because their presence is a sufficient reminder that I need to take them to school. In the afternoon, however, I'm usually engrossed in some activity or other that causes me to lose track of time. Does this make me a bad mother? Every other parent seems to converge on the school like clockwork and I've never heard the slightest mention that it's hard for anyone else to remember to pick up their kids from school, so I feel like I'm alone in this.

Several months ago I stumbled upon a site called iwantsandy.com. I could set up tasks (e.g., "Pick up kids") and it would text me a reminder 15 minutes before I needed to pick up the kids. Unfortunately, Twitter decided to buy it and shut it down! I started using a new service (RememberTheMilk.com) that's pretty comparable for the most part. In fact, just today I learned that I can integrate it with my Google calendar, which is kind of cool. Then I also learned that I can sort of do the same thing with Google calendar (i.e. receive text reminders). However, I prefer to keep my calendar limited to actual appointments and such and not clutter it up with daily "Pick up kids"-type reminders, so I'll keep my RTM service.

Am I the only one out there who doesn't instinctively sense when the end of the school day is near without an external reminder?
And if I'm not utterly alone in this, does anyone want to share any nifty technological advances that I might find useful? :)

5 comments:

Aubrey said...

Don't think of it as "forgetting" to pick them up, think of it as "a little late" in picking them up Ü

Brenna said...

HEy I think maybey our own mother may have some explaining to do now that I read this....lol...I am not so sure she was just late now that I think about it....lol JK

Carca said...

haha..I have this same problem... I set the timer on the oven....sometimes I set it 4 hours before school gets out, other times I set it only an hour before...but I do have to set it!

TexasTwinsTwice said...

hahaha!

and the comments are hilarious too!

Mom Gavin said...

Sometimes I was just en route. At one time we had kids at 5 different schools! Palo Christi, charter school, Jr High, High School and Community College. I made that big purse kinda like a suitcase cuz I had "rounds to make."