Monday, May 25, 2009

Laptop

I bought a laptop when I started law school. It's tiny and I love it, but I hate it when things are not charged so I was constantly plugging it in to make sure the battery never died. I ruined several cell phone batteries that way before I learned what I was doing wrong (I am now working on year #2 with the same phone battery for the first time ever!). Now, supposedly lithium-ion batteries (which my laptop has) are not supposed to do this, but mine definitely took a dive due to the constant charging. It would start out fully charged and within a very short period of time (sometimes just a few minutes) it would die.

So... I pretty much haven't used my laptop for the past year or two. I pulled it out from under the bed this past week and decided I would get a new battery (now that I know how to properly care for them). I ordered a new battery and then... decided to wait for this one to die.
After about 30 minutes of using battery power, it died. I pushed the power button and was able to use it for another 10 minutes before it died again. Then I pushed the power button again and... 15-20 minutes later it's still going!!! My battery indicator has said "0%" for quite some time now, but it's still going!

I have learned:
  1. Lithium-ion batteries do suffer from the "memory effect" even though the experts claim they don't and
  2. NEVER order a brand-new, non-returnable battery until you are absolutely sure that your current one is really, truly irreparably damaged.

3 comments:

Double Gusto Ayres said...

Do you guys know what your having and when is your due date?

Cha said...

We haven't found out the gender yet, although we do plan to. The due date is 10/24/2009. :)

TexasTwinsTwice said...

Well, now you have a back-up battery right?

So you're supposed to wait for a battery to totally zonk out before re-charging it. Is that right?